Wednesday 23 April 2014

Book Review: Elements of Eloquence by Mark Forsyth


As I browsed through the books at my local Waterstones, a striking green book caught my eye. Not only did I find its luxurious cover inviting, but the subtitle ‘How to turn the perfect English phrase’ gave me that momentary flicker of hope that only self-help books can afford, with their unrealistically positive titles like ‘How to be rich’, and ‘How to be popular’. I sincerely hope I’m not the only one whose unwavering trust of book-knowledge momentarily leads them to think that these things can actually work. And although my brief lapse of judgment never results in actual purchase of said self-help books, I decided this doesn’t fall into that category. After all, rhetoric is the “art of discourse” and it’s not a long shot for a writer to know about methods of writing…

I know a book on rhetoric sounds like a bit of a snooze, but hear me out! Mark Forsyth blends literary devices with anecdotal humor seamlessly, and the result is a surprisingly fun book. It’s an easy read, despite having scary chapter titles with unpronounceable words such as ‘Epizeuxis’. Each chapter takes you through the use of a rhetorical figure, peppered with plenty of examples, from Shakespeare to Hollywood movies. By nature, this book is never going to be the type you just can’t put down and have to read in one sitting, but I found it was the perfect book to have on your nightstand, to read a chapter or two before going to bed (and no, not because it puts you to sleep).
And did I mention it’s really pretty?


No comments:

Post a Comment